Joining the Choir
It doesn't matter what your age, colour or creed - everybody is welcome in The Cleftomaniacs. All we ask is some basic musicality. You do not need to be able to read music, although it definitely helps.
There are some expectations.
- Willingness to join in the fun.
- Commitment to attending rehearsal. We rehearse 40 Thursday nights during the year, corresponding with NSW school terms.
- Spending some private time learning the songs.
- Participating in a simple, non-threatening and supported audition process. This occurs in the second week of your attendance and does not involve singing by yourself.
- Commitment from time to time to performances. Although performances are not compulsory, if you do agree to perform you would be letting down the other singers if you fail to turn up.
- A one time joining fee of $2.00
- $200 per 10 week term, which includes choir admin fees, rent and our professional musical director's fee.
Sometimes we go on singing trips. They range from weekends in the Blue Mountains, through to a week in Tasmania (2013) or a week in New Zealand (2015). They are not compulsory, but attendance is often the high point of the year. If you wish, family members are welcome to come along where appropriate. In the past, the choir has been able to partly fund the trips from proceeds of performances. For instance, the choir paid for all airfares to Tasmania.